"Rivieren is a metaphysical artist. It is impossible to approach his work without sensing that it is speaking to the audience in both physical and spiritual terms. Over the years, Rivieren has developed a decidedly minimalist style as he experimented with stainless steel recycled from the industrial scrap yards of the UAE."
Arnaud Rivieren transforms stainless steel beams and heavy machinery into forms that defy their material rigidity and industrial origins. Using cast-off material sourced from Jebel Ali, Rivieren’s sculptures are created in a ‘moment of inertia’ : he heats steel until it begins to bend rotationally under its own weight, and hereby creates smooth, circular beams – without beginning or end – and free-balancing curves. Rivieren creates a quiet rapport between fluidity and normal rigour. Simultaneously, the works operate on a second, spatial ‘moment Of inertia’. As the viewer walks around these sculptures, curved steel beams align and interact – creating wave-like shapes, interrupted circles and visual puns when viewed from different angles. Meanwhile, counter-balanced tensions hold these works together, and there is a fundamental contradiction between this tenuous balance and the factory or foundry atmosphere that the materials of the works emerged from. In this way, Rivieren creates dynamic oppositions in his work – between manmade and primitive, momentum and inertia. With reference to the severed curves of Bernar Venet and Marino di Teana’s architectural sensibility, each of these six sculptures hinge on the artist’s passion for steel and his desire to turn the raw elements of industry, which surround him in his day job in Dubai, into forms that can contradict their own perceived fixedness.
- 1966Born in Brussels,Belgium
- 2016Arnaud Rivieren lives and works in Dubai
- 2012Installation "Paper Plane" was presented in the heart of Brussels, Parc Egmont, as part of Art Brussel's Art in the City programme, Brussels, Belgium
- 2011LKFF Art & Sculpture projects, Brussels, Belgium
- 2010"Zhu", Shangai Expo 2010, EU-Belgium Pavillon, Shanghai, China.
- 2010Tripoli Gallery, Southampton, NY
- 2009"The Hatching", LTMH, NY, USA
- 2009Al Bastakiya Art Fair, installation, Dubai, UAE
- 2009Art Dubai, Dubai, UAE
- 2009"The Hatching", B21 Gallery, Dubai, UAE
- 2009Gallery Leila Heller, New York, USA
- 2008"Artparis - AbuDhabi", Abu Dhabi, UAE
- 2008Al Bastakiya Art Fair, Special Installation, Dubai, UAE
- 2008"From Scrap", B21 Gallery, Dubai, UAE
- 2008"Art Dubai", Dubai, UAE
- 2006"Steel Sculpture", B12 Gallery, Dubai, UAE
- 2005"Sculpture", B12 Gallery, Dubai, UAE
- TDIC Culture, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Randolf Hearst Collection